Monday, October 21, 2013

From one passion to another

Recently, I have changed my major from pre-veterinary studies towards animal conservation, because I have discovered something about myself that has changed everything. It took the effort of a 10-hour drive and a group of people to show me the importance of animal conservation for me to realize it.

Ever since I was young, I have been in love with elephants. Their magnificent enormity, unimaginable intelligence, and their ever-caring social groups entranced my imagination. It became clear to me that no matter what I did in my life, elephants had to be involved. Thus, how I latched on to being a wildlife veterinarian. This has been my goal for a very long time, with my mind never wavering until now.

When I participated in an internship in January with the Ocean Mammal Institute, my mind began to open a door I had never knocked on before. Shortly afterwards I was offered an opportunity to travel to South Carolina to check out a tiger conservation group, we all know as Tigers 4 Tigers. While there, I suddenly felt so passionate about the issues being brought to light and a new sense of purpose. I left there with a small seed of tiger conservation planted in my head that kept growing all summer long.

I began to realize that this was more than just a crush I had on tiger conservation. It was a full-fledged commitment. Never before had I felt that I was contributing to the world more than I do now. Once I understood the ramifications that we as people could have upon wildlife; being a veterinarian didn’t feel needed anymore. I felt that elephants and tigers didn’t need more veterinarians; they needed more people to fight for them. This is exactly how I feel about all wildlife and being a part of this organization has let me do just that – fight for justice in the animal world.



In short, this is what made me decide to change my major to animal conservation. I have taken an important step in my life that I could not have done without Tigers for Tigers. Now that I’m finally here, I feel empowered and committed to reach my new goals.

Chelsea Connor
Towson University T4T 

No comments:

Post a Comment